Grilled Peaches with Honey Balsamic Dressing

Come summer time and I OD on fruits. It gets too hot and humid to cook or eat anything warm most of the time. I usually go to the 4 Bungalows market to buy fruits. I think it is much better than a supermarket in terms of freshness, variety and price! After a few days though it gets a bit boring to have same old fruits the same old way. Every once in a while I give in to my urges to spurge on more exotic albeit expensive varieties. And that’s how I ended up buying some peaches.

I have had peaches before as part of some kind of a dessert at restaurants but never as a whole fruit. So I got it home, washed it and bite into it. It was nothing like I remembered. It was a bit hard and not as sweet as I expected. I was disappointed.

And then I remembered all those cooking shows where I have seen people grill fruits. It makes the fruit tender and wonderfully caramelized. So that’s the way I decided to go. The grilling did all that but something was still missing. So I decided to add the balsamic dressing. And oh boy, did it take the peaches to a whole new level! This is one of my favourite desserts now.



Grilled Peaches with Honey Balsamic Dressing

As this recipe was developed on the go, I don’t really remember the exact quantity of ingredients. But this is what you will need:

• Fresh peaches sliced into halves, pits removed
• Neutral oil like vegetable or sunflower oil
• Any kind of balsamic vinegar
• Honey
• Chilli flakes


Slice the peaches in halves and remove the pits. Brush them with some oil so they don’t stick to grill. I don’t have a grill but use a griddle pan. You can use a heavy bottomed normal non-stick pan too but then you won’t get the nice grill marks on the peaches. Grill the peaches for around 10 min per side so you get nice caramelization, and flip them when they look good and become tender. Let them cool down a bit before slicing them into smaller pieces.
While the peaches are cooling down, mix together some balsamic vinegar and honey. I used about 3 parts balsamic to 1 part honey. You can alter this according to your preference of sweetness. Once you have sliced the peaches toss them in the dressing. Sprinkle some chilli flakes on top before serving. The chilli flakes add a nice heat to the sweet and tangy dessert.

p.s. the next time I made this I removed the skin of the peaches. It comes off really easily after the peach has been grilled. The skin adds a slightly unpleasant texture otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I love the name 'Insomniac Cook'. Perfect for insomniac readers. Like the simple and concise way in which you have given the recipes. Very easy to get for other non recipe cooks. Liked the 'learnings' part too (skin of peaches)> Looking forward to more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled peaches with honey and vinegar...Mmmm looks so delightful. Simple and would be great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy looking. I should try this. Or better still get myself invited over :)
    Looking forward to more of these posts. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Ground black pepper

    ReplyDelete